Wednesday, May 14, 2008

From the Bad Idea Dept.

I think I've probably mentioned this before, so just in case I'll reiterate: Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love it, crazy time-traveling rabbits and all. So it comes as a huge let down that a sequel is in the works, without any input whatsoever from Rickard Kelly, the writer and director of the original.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sequel hater by any stretch (see: Indy 4), but there's just no need to continue the story of the Darko family whatsoever. It's plain to see that it's just a sad way of extracting cash from a cow that doesn't need to be milked. ScreenDaily has reported that Chris Fisher (of Nightstalker fame... wait, did I say say "fame"?) will be directing the story of Donnie's sister Samantha (Daviegh Chase) as she embarks on a road trip with her friends at age 18 and are plagued by strange visions. The sequel will be entitled S. Darko.

Richard Kelly and Darko Entertainment have come out and stated that they are "150% not involved" and have tried to stop development on the pic. One of the producers of S. Darko, Adam Fields, was involved in the original and was rumored to have been ordered off set (or at least was told he was not welcome) and could possibly be organizing this as revenge.

Whatever the reasoning or the outcome, I'm not looking forward to this at all. Shooting begins on May 18th.

No comments: